Daily News carnage reaches ‘safe’ digital staffers

Keith J. Kelly

New York Post

10th January 2016

The Daily News bloodbath continues — this time on the digital side. After being assured in the fall during an earlier downsizing that their jobs were safe, about 20 writers and “digital content providers” who toiled at the paper’s New Jersey outpost were slashed on Friday. One insider said Robert Shields and Joe Kemp, who run digital editorial operations in Jersey City, told staffers to assemble in an upstairs meeting room, where a human resources executive delivered the bad news.

“There was no reason given other than ‘reductions,’” one staffer told The Post. “My and I were herded into a conference room and told that today was our last day and told to leave. ” After being handed their walking papers, the workers were escorted to shuttle buses and away from the premises, sources said.

Shields and Kemp “repeatedly assured us [in the fall] there were no dangers of any layoffs,” the staffer said. “Needless to say, it was a shock to my and me. ” Reps for the paper did not return calls seeking comment.

The Black Friday in Jersey marks the latest in a string of downsizings in the wake of owner Mort Zuckerman’s failed attempt to sell the teetering tabloid, which is losing close to $30 million a year, according to some estimates. Colin Myler, who was said to be hauling in $1. 5 million a year, was .

Successor Jim Rich oversaw a new round of cuts that chopped an even as the paper was hiring digital workers for its Jersey City newsroom. Last month, the paper dangled buyout offers to the photography staff, offering two weeks’ pay for each year worked..

 

Comments

Leave your comments, questions and feedback on this article below. You can also correct any listing errors or omissions.